The choricero pepper is the essential ingredient of Basque (Spanish) chorizo, and of the red mother sauce of Basque cooking, salsa viscaina. The sauce can be made from fresh peppers, or dried peppers rehydrated in hot water.
Use it as a sauce for grilled fish, or baked potatoes.
- 2 onions (preferably red) thinly sliced
- 6 choricero peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 slice of dry bread
- 2 cups of stock (vegetable, chicken, or fish stock)
- 1 tsp salt
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Add sliced peppers and continue to saute (about 5 minutes)
- Add stock and salt, simmer 30 minutes
- Add bread slice and pcuree with immersion blender, blender, or food processor.