Plastic labels for vegetables grown in pots or flats are not cheap – for example 6″ x 1/2″ labels are $.03 each at http://www.dpind.com/. I make my own by cutting up aluminum beverage cans with a sturdy pair of scissors (poultry shears are ideal).
- Cut off the two ends of the can.
- Cut down the side to open up the can.
- Trim off the ragged edges.
- Cut into strips, 1/4″ wide.
- Label with permanent marker pen, like these.
- Or affix labels printed on your laser printer, on weatherproof, self-adhesive label stock, like these.